Students seeking accommodation in Reading often face challenges related to their limited credit history and financial stability, which can understandably cause concerns for landlords. In the unfortunate event that a tenant defaults on rent payments or causes damage exceeding the deposit value, it may become difficult for the landlord to recover their losses, even if legal action is pursued. Hence, it is a common practice across the UK to request parents or guardians to act as guarantors for their children's tenancy agreements, providing an additional layer of security for landlord.



As guarantor you will be sent a automatic link once your child has completed their application form, please complete your application as a matter of urgency as the contract will need to be signed 10 days from when they would have reserved, if you have not received the link please click below (please contact your child as you will need some information from them to complete the online application).

Guarantor FAQs

Student Holmes needs a guarantor to be a United Kingdom homeowner. That is a person that owns a home in the United Kingdom. To define the United Kingdom this does not include Jersey, Guernsey or Northern Ireland. These would have to be agreed with your landlord in advance.

They would then be contacted by yourself and he agrees to sign a guarantor to pay the rent for the property. You need to understand that most contracts are on a joint and several liability basis.

What does this mean? Unless you are renting a room, all guarantors and tenants sign the documentation on a joint and several basis. This is quite typical and it means that they are responsible for the whole rent in the property. Not just one single student. It also means that the students themselves are not only liable for their rent but for everybody’s share in the house. It is important that you understand this. If for any reason one tenant wasn’t able to pay their rent, then the other tenants and guarantors may have to pay for it.

But we now team up with a company that can offer guarantors an insurance policy in the event that this situation occurs. They are Guarantor Insure.

The reason that your guarantor must be a homeowner is that in the event of a default the landlord can recover the rent or damages from the guarantor. If they own a home, then it is more than likely that they would pay any costs that may be liable.
One of the easier people is usually your parents but you could also ask a member of your family or even a friend. You may find that they will be able to and be happy to guarantee this for you. As stated above we do have an Insurance company who will be able to cover them in this regard.
No, unfortunately we do not accept tenants without a guarantor. We understand that almost every landlord in Reading will ask for some form of guarantee from a third party. It is thus always important that you check that you have a guarantor before you start looking.
We accept (subject to you rent a house not a room) a company called Housing Hand at Telephone number 0207-2052625. They are a third party and will be able to help you with respect to the guarantor.
If you do not have a guarantor then they will be able to supply one for you. It will allow you to still be able to take part in a group that want to take a property.
We wouldn’t be able to take your guarantor unless they are a UK homeowner, so it is best that you check with them first to ensure that they are able to do this.
No, unfortunately we would not change the documentation that has been provided. This has been approved by Trading Standards and as such we would not be prepared to change this. It has been in place for many years and we have used it for hundreds of thousands of students.
No, we don’t need references. But we do need then to fill out an application form. This will detail all the income to make sure that they are suitable for this position for Harringtons.
No, we do not take references for students. Most students aren’t able to actually even provide a reference or a credit check and, in any event, we would not take you unless you had a guarantor. It is thus important that you are aware of what the criteria is before you start looking at our properties.
Yes, of course, you can pay your rent up front for the whole of the term before you move in if you wish to do so. It is totally a matter for you and/or your guarantor if they wish to do this.
Yes, we are more than happy to accept you if you wish to pay your full rent up front.

If you have any queries in relation to the above, then please do not hesitate to contact us. We would be more than happy to speak with you and go through it with you. Obviously, we are trying to ensure that you can proceed to let a property through us before you start.

Please refer to our Student Lettings Information article for more general information - Click Here